Sunday, July 03, 2022

Steelwalker

 It takes about five seconds to fall 450 feet. It takes 5 seconds to reach a speed of ninety miles per hour when you fall 450 feet under the pull of gravity starting from a state of rest. My heart stopped for the entirety of those 5 seconds. And then it began to beat at over 180 beats per minute. My mind completely blocked out all sound, except for the thud from the contact with the concrete below. Slowly, I began regaining awareness of the sound of the sirens from around me. I stared down at the Sharpie I had just lost. Even with my heart beating wildly in my head, I felt a little relieved that it had hit no one. I shifted tentatively, as I sat on a twenty four inch wide, grey steel beam, 450 feet up in the air.  I had a safety harness that would catch me if I fell. But it would also cut off my femoral artery and I would lose my life in about 30 minutes. I knew this all along, but the Sharpie’s fall really heightened by awareness of the fact.

There were iron workers around me. Big men, strong men. I supposed they would walk the steel to help rescue me if I fell. I remember them joking that I was too little and that I would simply fall out of my harness if I tripped. They always had the same reaction when they first saw me. Their gait would slow, their lips would curl up in mockery of how small a dude I was, then their eyes would slowly widen in surprise as they registered, and then they would look at my chest to confirm that I was indeed a woman. Then they’d think I was cute because I had just spent 25 minutes making my way up to the 450 feet tall roof just to sit around and look pretty. Then the smirks would start amongst them. And I am sure there were bets too, of when I would freak out or how soon I would fall. But then, as I’d slowly climb over the catwalk, and walk onto the steel beams supporting the mammoth roof of this arena, they’d silently acknowledge that maybe they were wrong.

I was a video board programmer, and didn’t really belong here. As the safety inspector had insisted over and over during the orientation, “this is an active construction site”. However, after the boards were up in the air, welded, bolted and securely held in place against the fiercest hurricanes, the only way to examine them was to become a steel walker. These video boards were state of the art. We had spent months designing and testing all the hardware and software. They had worked perfectly for the first two days after they were put up. However, now there were dead spaces on the display. The last time something went wrong with a similar set of video boards, it took me a week of walking steel to find the tiny capacitor that had failed us. I wondered how long it would take me today - especially after I had lost my sharpie and the only way I had to track my movements and findings.

The weather was beginning to cool down. The ETFE pillows of the gigantic roof were being put up and helped keep out the sun. It had rained the previous night and I would have been cold had it not been for the thick socks, steel toe boots, mandatory full sleeves t-shirt, pants, safety, harness, thick gloves, hard hat and safety glasses. The safety vest he gave me was two sizes too big, long and beginning to disseminate the malodors it had been gathering from the greases, oils, paints, concrete and fade under the dust it had been gathering. The contractor had warned me against washing it too often for fear that the reflective stripes on it would fade. I didn’t need them to be visible though.

The men never forgot me. It had been a year since I inspected the video boards in Tampa, but a guy stopped me on the catwalk today and exclaimed, “You’re the lady inspector from the arena in Tampa!” Yesterday, when I took a two minute break to get a sip of water, the welder claimed “I am making sure you are warm” when he turned on his torch and brought it’s temperature up to a thousand degrees Fahrenheit.

 I checked to make sure both the hooks form my lanyards were still connected to the steel safety wire above me. The shaking in my legs had stopped, so I slowly stood up and inched forward towards the last obstacle before I reached the video boards – two giant speakers blasting Katy Perry’s firework. The audio consultants sure had some sense of humour!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home