Monday, January 01, 2018

What's your quote going to be?

It's been about 9 years. After K left for her MBA, I got caught up with the whole 12th standard board exams, engineering college entrance exams, finding a job, taking the GRE, finishing a masters and then finding a job again, and then working a million hours a day to keep afloat, and completely forgot about blogging!

I grew up in the last 9 years, had an adult relationship, saw it fall apart after 7 years (surprise!) and lost and found myself a million times!

I am currently back to the "lost" phase, where I am again trying to find who I am going to be next. In the last 9 years, I managed to become an avid hiker, amateur dancer, competitive rower, structural engineer who builds skyscrapers and is helping define the third tallest skyline in all of the United States! I also fell in love (I though it was lust, then it became love, then a deep sense of dedication to a long-term relationship even when I saw it fall apart over a three year period). I gained weight, then lost it, gained it again, built muscles, lost them, gained weight, lost weight again, gained it, and am currently on the losing weight phase of my life.

I saw more of the world than K allowed me to! Did I tell you about hiking Sinhagad (every Punekar has been there, done that!)? And what about Torna, Tikona and K2S? Well, after that, I also hiked up the Half Dome (google it!), hiked in the Rocky Mountains and camped in pouring rain on sloping ground (:D) freezing to death because all my clothes and backpack were completely drenched, did the Angels Landing hike, hiked into the Virgin River (google the Narrows hike!), walked among the hoodoos in Bryce Canyon, camped with millions of mosquitoes in the Florida keys, ate conch fritters and drank key lime mimosas, swam in a few fresh water springs, drove in, hiked in and camped in the Smoky Mountains and went back because it was so pretty! Somewhere in all of this, I also went swimming in the Mula Mutha (only a Punekar can attest to how disgusting that is!), rowed in it, won a silver at the State Rowing Championships, then never rowed again thanks to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and Ulnar Never Neuritis. Did I mention I also met Typhoid and Dengue along the way?

I went and got a Masters in Structural Engineering and worked on two NFL stadiums even though I barely understood football (and still don't!). 

I had a lot of fun in all of this, and never thought about blogging because I never felt like I had a free minute to write about life, cos it was happening too fast! And now I am back to blogging. Not to share K's wisdom (although we all know that will happen whether I like it or not); not to tell you about the last 9 years - although they were great; but because I want to write again. Writing helped me define who I was and wanted to be 9 years ago. I know I never came back and told you (my readership of, what was it, 10 people?) how it went, but then most of you knew anyway. 

I want to say, get ready for the ride, it's going to be fun. And I would like for it be fun. But we'll find out how it goes. But just so you know, Pearl did grow up. She's 26 and has a real job now. And that's actually all you needed to know to be caught up. 

Before I sign off, I'll leave you with something K wrote me when I started pursuing my Master's in 2014, because we all know you're really here for K's wisdom :P 

From the Capilano Suspension Bridge to the temples of Angkor
Each has a story of it's own, each a wonder to behold!
My backpack and I, have made a few journeys,
We've miles to go, this is just the beginning!

"Getting lost is to find yourself"
"There are no foreign lands"
"Life is an adventure"

....what's your quote going to be?

1 Comments:

At 3:59 PM, July 05, 2022, Blogger _Priya Raj_ said...

Please keep writing, fiction or real life, doesn't matter. Every now and then we all need a reminder of how far we have come and how rewarding it is to live a life full of joy and wonder. Aayi baat samajh mein?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home